18th June 2010 - On the back of a huge week of gaming news, from all corners of our E3 coverage, the fun and festivities keep on coming for Australia. While it might not be specific to video games, we can bet a few of Hollywoods' finest, were not there. Why?, because this weekend sees the National SUPANOVA Exhibition converge on Sydney in the 2nd last leg of the countries tour; with just a few select guest stars in attendance.
From Animae to comic books, wrestling to 'super stars' (and just a few new video games) thrown in, All Age Gaming will be on the ground looking for the newest content, to report to you our readers, and who knows ,we might just pick up some cool loot in the process.
Below is a rundown of events.
From last year, we were able to go hands on with Batman Arkham Asylum, months before it launched in Australia as well as nab some live signed copies of exclusive Dead Space 2 comic, not to mention meet some old Star Trek alumni ( Nichelle Nichols aka. Uhura from Star Trek the Original series) and some newer actors (Carl Urban from the new Star trek film). This year we are scoping out some of the newest or soon to be released titles as well as keeping an eye out for Eliza Dushku and none other than Summer Glau of Firefly fame and The Sarah Conner Chronicles. We also have it on good authority that at least one half of ABC2 Good Game show will be in attendance so luck willing we will bring you some words from that (if not pictures). In Sydney at least, SUPANOVA as a pop culture phenomenon has always attracted a large demographic from the Western Suburbs and true to form the Australian Wrestling federation will be in attendance centre stage, just to make things interesting.
Tickets have been on sale for about a month now and starting at $23.00, it's not too shabby for a full day out.
So without further ado here is the full line up of stars (including the Twilight ones), and next- onto the games:
· Eliza Dushku: Echo from Dollhouse and Faith from Buffy The Vampire Slayer
· Summer Glau: River Tam from Firefly & Serenity and Cameron from Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
· Dichen Lachman: Sierra from Joss Whedon's Dollhouse
· Leah Gibson: Nettie from Twilight: Eclipse and Emmanuelle from Caprica
· Charisma Carpenter: Cordelia in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel plus upcoming in Sylvester Stallone's The Expendables
· Chaske Spencer: Sam Uley from Twilight: New Moon and Twilight: Eclipse
· Mark Lutz: Groosalugg from ANGEL and James from The Ghost Whisperer
· Daniel Logan: Boba Fett from Star Wars: Attack of the Clones & Clone Wars Animated Series
· Lou Ferrigno: Incredible Hulk (TV), Hulk (Film), Pumping Iron & King of Queens
· Michael Winslow: Sound effects genius from Police Academy, Spaceballs & Gremlins
· Vic Mignogna: Edward from Fullmetal Alchemist plus Dragonball Z, Ouran Highschool Host Club & heaps more
· Travis Willingham: Roy Mustang in Fullmetal Alchemist, Guile, Bleach
· Laura Bailey: Chun-Li in Streetfighter IV plus Dragonball Z and Bloodrayne
· Joe Kubert: Living comic-book legend and founder of the Joe Kubert School of Cartooning
· Stuart Immonen: Ultimate Spider-Man, New Avengers, Superman: Secret Identity
· Kathryn Immonen: Writer on Runaways, Moving Pictures & Pixie Strikes Back
· Shane McCarthy: Writer on Transformers: All Hail Megatron, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight & Zombies
· Tom Taylor: New writer on The Authority plus Star Wars: Invasion and Rombies
· Colin Wilson: Acclaimed artist on Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper & recently Star Wars Invasion
· Justin Randell: Changing Ways, Silent Hill, 30 Days of Night
· Marriane De Pierres: Author of Parrish Plessis, Sentients of Orion, Tara Sharp
· Jennifer Fallon: Author of Hythrun Chronicles, Second Sons, The Tide Lords, Stargate SG-1
· Christian Tamblyn: Writer on "Dragon of the Second Moon"
As for the Gaming goods, Both GAME and JB HI-FI are loyal sponsors of what SUPANOVA is so expect more next week on exactly what is showcased on the floor. Varying start up and developers use shows such as SUPANOVA around the country to sell and showcase their latest tech, games and developments, not to mention the art.
A massive part o the experience is of course the cos-play and themed dress ups of which a large proportion are usually game based. This may sound a) super geeky or b) kind of lame, but when a couple of guys spend almost $10,000 making their own Ghost-busters uniforms complete with Proton Packs, you have to be there to see it. SUPANOVA is a celebration n of lifestyle, and we look forward to getting in amongst it. As we noted earlier, other websites and magazines and shows, like ABC 2 Good Game are also in attendance, so SUPANOVA is also an excellent spot to mingle with like minded individuals, the broader community and meet some semi famous people.
SUPANOVA is your first choice for getting “hands on” with the best upcoming games well before they are on the shelves, as well as being able to play the hottest new release titles at some of our exhibitor’s booths. Gaming competitions, huge scale LAN events and heaps of retailers doing “Show specials” means that for gamers, there is no-where better to be.
For those with a thirst for multiplayer computer gaming, FragFest will be providing a Free(1) BYO-PC LANparty at SUPANOVA 2010. SPACE IS LIMITED so before you pack up your laptop or PC and bring it along with you, make sure to register your interest on the FragFest website. FragFest will provide everything you’d expect at a BYO-PC LANparty: tables, chairs, power, a working network with network cables…you just need a computer and the games you want to play! For security purposes the LANparty will be in a cordoned-off section of the Dome, so you will need to sign in and out with your gear. Its then up to you to Frag or be Fragged, whilst also having the freedom to check out the rest of the SUPANOVA event. There are some great prizes to be won throughout the day so if you go exploring, don’t go too far! For more details, check out the FragFest website @ www.fragfest.com.au
(1) Admission fees for SUPANOVA still apply
So whether its comic books, animae, celebrities or just plain good games (table-top included) SUPANOVA has you covered. Amidst the slew of E3 coverage and gaming goodness, we hope you left room for some more. All Age Gaming looks forward to bringing you all the Goss, news (and pictures!) LIVE from the event!
Download the Sydney Day Planner and Event guide here.
Article By Ian Crane