16th November 2011 - Microsoft has today announced the launch of Zune Music Pass(1) and Zune Marketplace giving Australians access to 13 million tracks across their Xbox(2), Windows Phone and PC.
Zune Music Pass is an ‘all-you-can-eat’ subscription service where people have unlimited access to explore the entire catalogue of Zune music tracks and also music video streaming on Windows-PC and on Xbox LIVE(3) later this year.
Also launching today is Zune Music Marketplace(4) which will allow music fans to purchase and download their favourite songs and albums to own, without a Zune Pass subscription, accessible across their Windows Phone and PC. (5)
“We are giving Australians the option to choose how they want to organise their music collections. They can stream unlimited songs across their favourite devices with the Zune Music Pass or buy tracks to own and collect with the Music Marketplace, so whichever their preference we have an option for them,” said David McLean, Director Consumer Channels Group, Microsoft.
The Zune Music Pass subscription will be AUD $11.99 per month or AUD $119.90 per year and allow people to access Zune’s entire music library across multiple devices. Zune Music Marketplace will allow people to use their credit card or Microsoft Points to purchase individual tracks or albums.(5)
“Australians have such a strong passion for music and it is an important part of the entertainment mix – we are thrilled to bring this service to Australia and give people alternatives in how they wish to play their favourite songs,” said David.
Australians have had access to Zune Movies for nearly two years and will be able to access Zune Music from today via Zune.net, their Xbox or Zune on their phones.
(1) Zune App download and installation may be required. Zune Music Pass requires a Windows LIVE ID and credit card to purchase the Zune subscription. Xbox LIVE Gold subscription (sold separately) required for downloadable content. Access to the internet is required to access content, ISP download charges may apply. Please contact your Internet Service Provider for the cost and restrictions of downloading content.
(2) Streaming only and requires a Gold membership.
(3) Availability of content and video resolution will vary by device. Instant HD video streaming in 1080p available with select content; requires HDMI cable, HDCP-compliant 1080p display, and minimum 4 mbps broadband speed.
(4) Some Marketplace content may not be available for download on multiple devices and may vary over time.
(5) Requires internet connection, Windows LIVE ID and free Zune application software.